Lemon squares have been a beloved dessert in our family for many, many years. My mother-in-law makes an amazing lemon squares dessert that she frequently serves at family gatherings. In this recipe, by adding lemongrass, coconut flour and coconut flakes, we now have an Asian spin on her traditional lemon squares recipe. It’s just as good and as easy to prepare!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass from a tube
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, blend together sugar, flour, butter, and salt. Press crust into an 8×8 square pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes until crust is light brown. Remove from oven.
- Make the filling: In a mixing bowl, blend together eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, lemongrass, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup shredded coconut. Pour filling over the crust and bake another 20 minutes until set. Let cool. Sprinkle with remaining toasted coconut and dust with powdered sugar. Refrigerate and cut into squares when ready to serve.
Lemongrass from a tube can be found in the produce section at your local grocery store.
To toast shredded coconut: Place in a skillet on the stove over medium heat and dry toast it until light brown. Don’t overcook.
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 25.8 g
- Sodium: 95.5 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 51.2 mg
Keywords: Asian Bar Cookies, Lemongrass Bars, Coconut Bars