- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese (or 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup kimchi
- 2 slices gouda cheese (or 1/2 cup)
- Evenly butter the outside of 4 slices of sourdough bread. Turn the slices of bread over.
- Layer the inside of two pieces of bread with 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons of fresh kimchi, and 2 slices of gouda cheese (or cheeses of your choice). Press the sandwiches together with the other slices of bread (butter facing out).
- Heat a cast iron pan or heavy skillet on medium-high. Cook the sandwiches until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side, gently pressing with a spatula during cooking.
- Remove from pan and slice in half. (Cheese should be melty!) Serve while warm.
- You want the butter at room temperature so that it is easy to spread on the slices of bread. Alternatively, you can melt the butter in the skillet before you place the bread on top.
- You can always use whatever cheese you prefer in this sandwich, and add more cheese if you like it extra cheesy!
- Feel free to add more ingredients to your Kimchi Grilled Cheese sandwich, like honey, gochujang, avocado, and bacon. No rules!
- Make sure not to overheat the cast iron pan. You want the bread to brown slowly to give the cheese time to melt.
Watch a short video of this recipe here.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Korean-Inspired
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 490
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 1123.2 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 73.1 g
- Protein: 20.6 g
- Cholesterol: 32 mg
Keywords: kimchi grilled cheese, kimchi recipe, best grilled cheese recipe, how to make grilled cheese, grilled cheese