This restaurant-style Japanese Seaweed Salad (a.k.a. “wakame“) is perfect when paired with a tray of sushi, or your favorite Asian soup. You can make this at home in just 10 minutes!
- Place the seaweed in a medium-sized bowl and cover with water. Let sit for 10 minutes until rehydrated.
- While seaweed is soaking, prepare the dressing: In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, sugar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- When the seaweed is rehydrated, strain the seaweed in a colander and rinse thoroughly. Make sure to remove as much moisture as possible, squeezing the seaweed if necessary.
- Add the seaweed, sliced cucumber, and sesame seeds to the bowl of dressing and toss well to coat.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, garnish with extra sesame seeds.
- Most seaweed salads include more than one kind of seaweed so choose the one that seems best for your meal.
- Make sure to drain the seaweed very well after rehydrating.
- If you like more heat, try adding extra chili flakes, or a chili paste like sambal oelek, to the dressing.
- If you can’t find precut seaweed, you can easily cut the seaweed into strips yourself after rehydrating it.
- When fully rehydrated, the seaweed should be soft, delicate, and slightly lighter in color.
Keywords: wakame salad, dried wakame seaweed, Japanese seaweed salad recipe, seaweed salad meal, seaweed salad nutrition, wakame seaweed