- In a large pot, add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add in the bean sprouts and boil for 1 minute. Drain the bean sprouts and immediately place in an ice bath to cool for 5 minutes. Drain bean sprouts again in a colander and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the seasoning. In a small mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and garlic, and whisk or mix to combine. Stir in the sesame seeds.
- Place the bean sprouts in a large mixing bowl and toss with the green onions and the seasoning until well combined.
- Serve with extra sprinkles of sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Serve as a small starter salad for an Asian meal.
- Gorgeous bean sprouts should always be bright and crispy looking. If they are off-color, limp and slimy do not buy them! They have a short shelf life so use them up quickly.
- Make sure to put the quickly-boiled bean sprouts in an ice bath to cool off completely before assembling the salad.
- You can add in some extras, if preferred, like shelled edamame. Get creative!
- Serve immediately, and store in the refrigerator for no more than two days.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Asian Fusion
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 222.7 mg
- Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: salad, bean sprouts, side dish, Japanese side dish, vegetarian