For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, chopped or sliced
For the steak:
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak, cleaned of fat
- Cooking spray
For the toppings:
Make the marinade:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine, sesame oil, brown sugar, sambal oelek, garlic, and scallions.
- Place the flank steak in a large glass baking dish, or plastic sealable baggie. Pour the marinade over the flank steak and let marinate for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator and let it get to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
Grill the steak:
- Using a stove-top grill pan, or an outdoor grill, coat with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Grill the steak for about 6 minutes each side, or until cooking to medium.
- Remove to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Thinly slice the meat across the grain.
Assemble the lettuce cups:
- I used a stove-top grill pan to grill the flank steak. But, for you grill masters out there, by all means, use your outdoor grill!
- Letting the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing ensures the proper temperature and that the juices don't run off. I like to slice the meat very thinly for these lettuce wraps so the ingredients won't overflow out of the lettuce cups.
- The meat is best served at room temperature. You can even make the meat a day in advance and slice and serve at room temperature when you're ready to serve.
- Feel free to add your own toppings, like roasted peanuts, for extra crunch!
- The Nuoc Cham sauce can be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Asian Fusion
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 396
- Sugar: 14.1 g
- Sodium: 800 mg
- Fat: 15.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.2 g
- Protein: 41.4 g
- Cholesterol: 102 mg
Keywords: Grilled Flank Steak, Lettuce Cups,