- ½ cup white sesame seeds
- ½ cup black sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 (8-ounce) sushi-grade tuna steaks
- Salt & pepper
- For the noodles:
- ¼ cup gluten-free soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoons yuzu juice, or juice from 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 oz. vermicelli rice noodles
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly chopped on the bias
- Store-bought wakame (seaweed salad) for garnish
- Black sesame seeds for garnish
- Prepare the tuna: Spread the white and black sesame seeds on the bottom of a shallow dish. Pat the tuna steaks with paper towels to dry. Brush each tuna steak with 1 tablespoon canola oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge each piece in the sesame seeds to thoroughly coat.
- Heat a heavy skillet over high heat with remaining canola oil until oil starts to wave. Cook the tuna steaks on both sides for approximately 1 minute until golden brown. Remove from the pan and let rest on a cutting board. When at room temperature, slice the tuna on the bias into about 1/2 thick slices.
- For the noodles: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, sesame oil, yuzu juice, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the rice noodles and cook approximately 4-5 minutes until al-dente. Rinse the noodles under cold water in a strainer. Place the noodles in a large mixing bowl and add the sauce, bell peppers, cilantro, mint, and scallions. Mix together well.
- To plate: Place a nice portion of the noodles mixture on the bottom of a shallow bowl or plate. Top with slices of tuna, sprinkle black sesame seeds and a dollop of wakame on top.
Adapted from: Chef Gordon Ramsay’s Sesame Crusted Tuna recipe. You can find wakame seaweed salad at the sushi counter at your local grocery store. Sushi-grade tuna is sold at select grocery stores like Whole Foods and Fresh Market.
Keywords: Sesame Crusted Tuna, Gluten Free Crusted Tuna, Tuna with Noodles, Asian Tuna with Noodles