Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, these Gluten-Free Coconut Shrimp Cakes are loaded with flavor! And that spicy aioli sauce is killer!
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled & deveined, chopped
- 3 tablespoons scallions, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 Thai red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup gluten-free Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons organic coconut flour
- ¼ cup dry toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- Chopped scallions
- Dry toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix together the shrimp, scallions, red bell pepper, chili pepper, garlic, eggs, gluten-free Panko, coconut flour, coconut flakes, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Make small 2 ½ inch thin patties and place them on a baking tray lined with foil or wax paper until ready for frying.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Fry the shrimp cakes on each side until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer the cakes to a tray lined with paper towels to absorb the oil and sprinkle with more salt. Serve with the spicy aioli dipping sauce and garnish with chopped scallions and toasted coconut flakes.
- To make the Spicy Aoili: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and sambal oelek.
Keywords: shrimp cakes, coconut shrimp, fried shrimp cakes, spicy aioli