These Easy Pickled Red Onions are irresistibly tangy and crisp! They’re the perfect topping for sandwiches, burgers, salads, fish and so much more!
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Boiling water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/8 cup of sugar
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Teaspoon salt
- Add sliced red onions to a medium bowl. Pour boiling water over the onions to cover and let sit for 20 seconds. Drain onions and place in mason jar or bowl.
- Heat apple cider vinegar, lime juice, 1/8 cup sugar, chili flakes, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Pour vinegar mixture over onions.
- Allow to stand at room temperature, until fully cooled. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- I used a mandoline to slice the red onions so they were uniform in size. If you don’t have a mandoline, just make sure to slice the onions thinly (without slicing your finger!).
- I used some red pepper flakes to spice these red onion up a little, but if you’re not a fan, just leave them out!
- Store these pickled red onions in a mason jar. The mason jar has a really good rubber seal which makes them last longer in the fridge, at least two weeks!
Keywords: pickled onions, quick pickled onions recipe, red onions