Fried rice is practically a staple in Asian cuisine, and some of us choose to stay away because of the calorie content in traditional fried rice recipes. All that’s changed since the introduction of healthy cauliflower rice! Have you tried cauliflower fried rice yet? Here’s a super flavorful recipe that will have you convinced that it’s the real deal — my Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice with Crab!
This easy recipe requires a wok (or large frying pan) and the usual ingredients in fried rice (except for the rice!): carrots, onions, garlic, peas, cauliflower rice, scallions, and a bit of lump crab meat for protein. PLUS, I added a few fried eggs on top! Break into those yolks for even more flavor in this delicious “healthy” fried rice!
Where to buy cauliflower rice:
Cauliflower rice is pretty much available everywhere these days. It used to be hard to find, like only at Trader Joe’s. Then the craze caught on and they are in practically every freakin’ grocery store! Check the freezer section or you can often buy it fresh in the produce section.
This bag of fresh riced cauliflower is from Trader Joe’s. I also buy it frozen in the bag. If you buy it frozen, make sure to squeeze out any liquid before using it in your stir-fry.
How to make cauliflower fried rice:
This is so simple! It literally takes about 10 minutes to cook. Follow these simple steps to the perfect cauliflower fried rice:
- Get all of your veggies chopped evenly (mise en place) and ready to go.
- Pick through the crab to make sure there are no shells.
- Heat your wok on a high heat and add in your veggies, stirring constantly, until just wilted. Add in the cauliflower last!
- Push the veggies to the side of the wok and scramble the eggs on the cleared side. Once scrambled, mix the eggs into the stir-fried veggies.
- Add in the crab and the sauce ingredients and stir-fry a little while longer until fully incorporated.
- Meanwhile, fry two eggs, sunny-side-up.
- Sprinkle the stir-fry with black sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Add the fried eggs on top and drizzle with sriracha sauce.
- Serve while hot!
Look at those pieces of lump crab meat in this Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice dish! You can add any protein you’d like in this dish and it will work just as well. Or, make it vegetarian and leave it out (unless you opt for tofu which would be delish!).
A drizzle of sriracha sauce completes this healthy Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice with Crab dish. And that fried egg! 🙂Print
This healthier version of fried rice will make you wonder why you weren’t using riced cauliflower all along! This Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice with Crab is so good!
- 1 ½ tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ cup frozen peas, defrosted
- ¼ cup carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower rice (fresh or frozen)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos or light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup jumbo lump crab meat, picked through
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce (optional)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- Heat the sesame oil in a well-seasoned wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl to coat the pan. Add the garlic, onion, and ginger until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add in the carrots, peas and cauliflower rice and cook, stirring another 2 minutes.
- Add in the liquid aminos or soy sauce, sesame oil, fish sauce, and pepper and cook, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes. Push the vegetables off to the side of the wok or pan. Add the beaten eggs to the open side and cook until scrambled. Gently toss the scrambled eggs and crab meat into the veggies.
- Meanwhile, in a separate frying pan, fry the two large eggs until sunny-side up. Place the fried eggs over the fried rice and drizzle with sriracha sauce, if desired. Garnish with the scallions and sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
Keywords: fried rice, cauliflower, cauliflower rice, easy fried rice, fried rice recipe
If you liked this recipe, try our Sweet and Spicy Tricolored Cauliflower.