Stuffed delicata squash is the star of this roasted Asian dish! Ground turkey and brown rice combine with sautéed peppers, kale, and Asian spices.
- 2 large delicata squash
- Canola oil spray
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 Thai red chili pepper, seeded and chopped (or jalapeño pepper)
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 oz. baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- ¾ pound ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cups frozen chopped kale
- For the Sauce:
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (red chili paste)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ½ lime, freshly squeezed
- For the Spicy Aioli:
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Microwave the whole delicata squash for 3 minutes. Remove and let cool. Cut the squash in half length-wise. Scoop out the seeds and place on a baking tray sprayed with canola oil cut side down. Spray the tops of the squash and sprinkle with a dash of salt. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Lower the oven to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy wok, sauté the garlic, onions and red chili peppers until onions are translucent. Add in the bell peppers and sauté another 2 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and ginger, sauté another 2 minutes until softened. Add in the ground turkey and salt, and break up into small pieces using a wooden spoon. Stir in the brown rice and chopped kale and cook until all ingredients are cooked through and well combined.
- To make the sauce: In a small saucepan, stir together coconut milk, Thai red curry paste, and sambal oelek over a low heat. Pour the sauce over the turkey mixture and stir well to incorporate. Toss with fresh cilantro and mint, and lime juice.
- To make the spicy aioli: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and sambal oelek.
- Stuff each half of the delicata squash with the turkey mixture. Put back in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Drizzle each squash with the spicy aioli. Serve immediately.
Keywords: Stuffed Squash, Turkey Stuffed Squash, Delicata Squash