Delicata Squash Stuffed with Turkey and Brown Rice is the perfect Asian-inspired dish for fall, featuring healthy sautéed veggies, ground turkey, brown rice, and Asian spices.
- 2 large delicata squash
- Canola oil spray
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 Thai red chili pepper, seeded and chopped (or jalapeño pepper)
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 oz. baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- ¾ pound ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cups frozen chopped kale
For the Sauce:
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (red chili paste)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ½ lime, freshly squeezed
For the Spicy Aioli:
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Microwave the whole delicata squash for 3 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Cut the squash in half length-wise. Scoop out the seeds and place on a baking tray sprayed with canola oil cut side down. Spray the tops of the squash and sprinkle with a dash of salt. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Lower the oven to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy wok, sauté the garlic, onions, and red chili peppers until onions are translucent. Add in the bell peppers and sauté another 2 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and ginger, sauté another 2 minutes until softened. Add in the ground turkey and salt, and break up into small pieces using a wooden spoon. Stir in the brown rice and chopped kale and cook until all ingredients are cooked through and well combined.
To make the sauce: In a small saucepan, stir together coconut milk, Thai red curry paste, and sambal oelek over a low heat. Pour the sauce over the turkey mixture and stir well to incorporate. Toss with fresh cilantro, mint, and lime juice.
To make the spicy aioli: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and sambal oelek.
- Stuff each half of the delicata squash with the turkey mixture. Put back in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Drizzle each squash with the spicy aioli. Serve immediately.
- You do not have to peel the delicata squash. Unlike other gourds, the entire squash is edible!
- You can use any sautéed vegetables of your choice! And if you don’t like brown rice, then use white instead!
- Make this vegetarian by leaving out the ground turkey. Or switch out the protein with ground beef, chicken, or pork.
Keywords: stuffed squash ground turkey, stuffed squash recipes, stuffed delicata squash, roasted delicata squash