Crispy Salt & Pepper Tofu
When you make this appetizer for the first time, BE WARNED! — you will become obsessed! Just ask my friend, Lisa! I promise you this tofu nibbler will be on the top of your list of faves. For the best consistency I use the firmest tofu I can find, usually the sprouted tofu. It holds up so much better when frying. And you can experiment with different dipping sauces, or simply use my go-to for this app — sweet chili sauce! It’s the perfect accompaniment. Start dipping!
- ½ tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium leek, white part only, washed and sliced
- 1 small red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 Thai chili pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoons Soy Vay Hoisin Marinade or teriyaki sauce
- 1 block (14 oz when drained) extra firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Canola oil for frying
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet on medium-high heat. Add chopped leeks and red pepper. Sauté on high heat for about 2 minutes. Add ginger and garlic. Cook another 1-2 minutes. Add scallions and chili pepper. Cook another 1-2 minutes. Add Soy Vay Hoisin marinade and cook 30 seconds. Set this mixture aside and keep warm.
- Wrap the drained tofu in paper towels or kitchen towel for 30 minutes. Cut tofu into one inch cubes. Place the corn starch, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the tofu cubes and gently toss until tofu pieces are very well coated.
- In a large skillet, pour oil so that it comes up ½ inch. Heat the oil making sure it is hot. Add tofu cubes a few at a time so as not to crowd. Fry the tofu pieces, flipping them around, so that all sides are golden brown. Drain onto paper towels.
- Put a layer of the vegetable mixture at the bottom of a dish. Lay the fried tofu cubes on top of mixture or top tofu with mixture. Garnish with more green onion.
Leave a Comment
Search Asian Caucasian Recipes
Asian Caucasian Recipe Categories
Recent Asian Caucasian Posts
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry November 20, 2017
- Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce November 19, 2017
- Mala Hot Sauce November 13, 2017
- Asian-Spiced Pork Chili with Butternut Squash November 6, 2017
- Jalapeño Corn Bread November 6, 2017
- Delicata Squash Stuffed with Turkey and Brown Rice October 30, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Tri-Colored Cauliflower October 23, 2017
- Pork Potstickers October 16, 2017
- Pumpkin Manju Sweets October 9, 2017
- Perfectly Purple Potato and Cauliflower Soup October 2, 2017