Creamy Kimchi Mac and Cheese has just the right amount of spice and gooey, creamy cheese!
- 1 pound elbow macaroni pasta
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cups Panko bread crumbs (optional gluten-free)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 ¼ cups shredded Havarti cheese
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 ¼ cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces Brie cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 cup kimchi, drained and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large Dutch oven or stock pot with water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In the same pot, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter and add the garlic. Sauté until melted and stir in the Panko bread crumbs. Stir until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove bread crumbs from the pot and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in the Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Gradually whisk in the milk and stir frequently until sauce has thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the four cheeses, kimchi, all of the spices, green onions, and cilantro, making sure the cheese is fully melted. Toss in the pasta to thoroughly coat with the cheese mixture, and top evenly with the Panko bread crumbs. Sprinkle with paprika and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until bubbly and slightly golden brown.
Keywords: kimchi mac and cheese, macaroni cheese, how to make macaroni and cheese, easy mac and cheese recipe, kimchi, vegan kimchi, korean recipe, mac and cheese recipe