For the Cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup boiling water
For the Frosting:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a mixer using the paddle attachment, cream the sugar, coconut oil, and miso paste together until smooth and creamy. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until full incorporated.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Slowly add to the wet mixture in batches and blend until smooth.
- With the mixer on, add the buttermilk and boiling water to the batter until fully incorporated (scraping down the sides of the bowl).
- Fill the cupcake liners with the batter about 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting the cupcakes.
To make the frosting:
- In a mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the softened butter at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add in the confectioners sugar in batches until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides.
- Add in the vanilla extract and salt and beat at low speed until combined. Raise speed to medium and beat until smooth and creamy.
- With the mixer on, add in the milk and mix another 2 minutes until desired consistency.
- Frost the miso cupcakes with a piping bag or a frosting knife. Top with your choice of sprinkles!
- You can always use a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer, like my KitchenAid.
- Make sure to allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting them, or the frosting will melt!
- I used this cupcake batter dispenser to fill the cupcake liners. Makes it SO easy!
- These cupcakes keep well in an airtight container for a few days, or can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for a few months.
- Make ahead: The frosting can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to two days. Return to room temperature before using.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Japanese Fusion
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 28.7 g
- Sodium: 196.3 mg
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.9 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 31.9 mg
Keywords: miso cupcakes, buttercream frosting, chocolate cupcakes, miso cake