- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add in the green beans and boil for 1 minute. Strain the green beans and add to a large bowl filled with ice water. Let sit for 2 minutes, then place the green beans on a kitchen or paper towel to dry thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the soy sauce, sambal oelek, sherry wine, and ginger in a small bowl.
- Heat a large skillet or wok with the oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the green beans until they start to blister and are tender, about 5-6 minutes. Then add in the garlic and continue to stir fry for 1 minute.
- Toss in the sauce to thoroughly coat the green beans. Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Serve while hot.
- Blanching the green beans in boiling water for one minute, and shocking them in ice water, ensures that the beans will cook up evenly and quickly. I highly recommend this step!
- Make sure to thoroughly dry the green beans before stir-frying. Wet green beans will make the oil sputter, and the green beans will not blister properly.
- Try not to overcook the green beans. They should be crisp-tender, not overly wilted.
Watch a short video of this recipe here.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 166.9 mg
- Fat: 10.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.7 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Chinese green beans, Chinese garlic green beans, green beans, stir fry green beans