Vibrant, beautiful and delicious Chinese Eggplant Dip is the perfect appetizer or condiment for any protein! Serve it with your favorite fresh cut veggies, crackers or bread!
- 2–3 medium Chinese eggplants
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded
- 1 large red onion
- 5 whole garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Handful of fresh cilantro (with stems)
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Fresh cut vegetables (carrots, radishes, celery, cucumbers, etc.)
- Crackers or slices of bread
- Cut the Chinese eggplant into slices (about ½-inch thick). Cut the bell pepper and red onion into 1-inch cubes. Spread the eggplant, bell pepper, red onion, and garlic cloves on a large baking tray. Drizzle with the canola oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat thoroughly.
- Roast the veggies in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and softened. Shake the baking tray half way through. Let cool at room temperature.
- In a large food processor (with the standard “S” shaped blade) add in the roasted veggies, sambal oelek, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and fresh cilantro. Pulse about 5 to 6 times until fully processed but still a bit chunky. Top with chopped scallions for garnish if desired.
- Serve the dip with your favorite fresh cut veggies (carrots, radishes, celery, cucumbers, etc.) and/or your favorite crackers or bread.
- For this dish, you can roast the veggies for a very long time. Keep checking them, but because you’re pulsing the veggies in a food processor anyway your veggies can be soft.
- You can store the Chinese Eggplant Dip in the fridge for about a week, or freeze it for 3 to 4 months.
- Don’t freak out if you can’t find Chinese eggplant! Regular eggplant will work just fine!
- You can use this eggplant dip as a condiment on so many proteins. I used it on top of a flaky white fish. It was amazing!
Adapted from: Ina Garten’s Roasted Eggplant Spread
Keywords: grilled eggplant dip, Chinese eggplant, roasted eggplant dip