Creamy, rich and packed with flavor, this Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is on the table in 45 minutes!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red Thai chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped cashew nuts for garnish
- Indian Naan bread for dipping
Marinate the chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium sized bowl, combine Greek yogurt and chickpea flour. Beat with a fork until well blended and smooth. Add in the garlic, ginger, chili powder, coriander, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, garam masala, and turmeric. Mix thoroughly. Place chicken in the marinade and chill in refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours, or overnight. Return to room temperature before cooking.
- Remove chicken from marinade (reserve remaining marinade) and bake chicken pieces in oven for 10 minutes. Baste chicken with reserved marinade and bake another 10 minutes until pieces are done. Transfer chicken to a dish, cut into bite sized pieces and set aside.
Make the tikka masala
- Melt the oil in a large skillet or wok with a lid over medium heat. Add the garlic and chile pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in remaining cumin, paprika, and salt & pepper to taste and continue stirring for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cream into the skillet. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the liquid reduces and thickens.
- Add the chicken pieces to the skillet, cover, and let simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until the chicken is heated through. Garnish with cilantro and cashew nuts, and serve on a bed of basmati rice, with Naan bread for dipping.
Keywords: easy chicken tikka masala, Indian chicken masala, best chicken tikka masala recipe