Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry is a Chinese take-out classic for a reason – it’s totally delicious! This week, skip the take-out and make this easy, healthy version in your own kitchen!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (your choice)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the broccoli and mushrooms and cook for approximately 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds more. Remove the vegetables from the pan; place them on a plate and cover. Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and turn the heat to high. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add them to the pan in a single layer – you may need to do this step in batches. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Add the vegetables back to the pan and cook for 2 more minutes or until the vegetables are warmed through.
- In a bowl whisk together the oyster sauce, chicken broth, sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce. In a small bowl mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water. Pour the oyster sauce mixture over the chicken and vegetables; cook for 30 seconds. Add the cornstarch and bring to a boil; cook for 1 more minute or until sauce has just started to thicken.
- Serve immediately, with rice if desired.
- Don’t like chicken? You can always substitute with another protein, like tofu, beef or shrimp!
- Throw in extra veggies if you’d like. And substitute the button mushrooms for shiitake mushroom for a woodsy flavor.
- Make extra sauce and use it again on another dish! You can freeze it for up to 3 months.
Keywords: Chinese chicken broccoli stir fry, chicken broccoli stir fry oyster sauce, easy chicken and broccoli, healthy chicken and broccoli recipes