Don’t shy away from Asian fried rice because you think it’s too fattening! This super healthy Cauliflower Kimchi Fried Rice will have you asking for extra helpings! It’s made with riced cauliflower instead of traditional rice (but you’ll never know the difference😜 ).
The unique Kimchi flavoring gives this healthy dish a nice zest, and the addition of pancetta elevates the flavor even more! Serve this Cauliflower Kimchi Fried Rice as a side dish or as an entree. It’s so yum!
Kimchi is one of those super foods that’s incredibly good for you! Made of salted, fermented vegetables, kimchi is loaded with probiotics (good for your gut!). It’s no wonder it’s a staple of Korean foods. I used Nasoya Kimchi for this recipe post, but there are many options available in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
Cauliflower rice has a very similar consistency to that of white or brown rice, but with far less calories or carbs. Yay for that!
Steps to make cauliflower kimchi fried rice
- Heat a large wok over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add the pancetta and cook until browned. Move pancetta aside to a small bowl.
- Add the sesame oil to the hot wok and sauté onions, garlic, and carrots, about 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Add in the chopped kimchi and kimchi juice. Cook another 3 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the cauliflower rice and shelled edamame to the wok along with soy sauce. Break up the cauliflower with a spoon, cover and cook until well incorporated, around 5 to 6 minutes. Push the vegetable mixture to one side of the wok and add two beaten eggs and 3/4 of the green onions to the empty side. Scramble the eggs until cooked through. Add the pancetta back into the mixture.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings with more soy sauce or kimchi juice. Garnish with remaining green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
tips and tricks
- You can use either fresh or frozen cauliflower rice. Either one will work in this dish, but the fresh cauli rice won’t be as mushy as the frozen version when cooked.
- Feel free to add any protein of your choice. I’ve made this with tofu, chicken, shrimp, and more!
- You can even top this with a fried egg like I did in my Cauliflower Fried Rice with Crab recipe!
- Use vegan kimchi and leave out the pancetta to make this dish vegetarian. Yep, there’s usually some elements of the sea in kimchi!
- Use soy-free soy sauce or tamari to make this dish gluten free.
If you liked this Cauliflower Kimchi Fried Rice, you’re going to want these recipes:
- Kimchi Grilled Cheese
- Creamy Kimchi Mac and Cheese
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Crab
- Rice Cooker Coconut Rice with Lemongrass
- Healthy Shrimp Fried Rice
- Stuffed Peppers with Turkey and Rice
Update Notes: This post was originally published on May 31, 2016, but was republished with slight text changes and additions, like step by step instructions and tips in April 2021.Print