Summer time is here! At least if feels like it! We love making fresh salads this time of year, especially with healthy kale, and licorice-y fennel. This colorful spicy kale and fennel salad will make your tastebuds do a happy dance and the lemon vinaigrette provides the music. We’ve loaded this salad with all kinds of healthy goodies, like edamame, bean sprouts, jalapeños, and fresh cilantro. So fresh tasting, you will definitely want to bring this awesome salad to your next summer picnic!
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or mirin wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large fennel bulbs, halved and sliced thinly on a mandoline
- ½ cup red onion, sliced thinly on a mandoline
- 8 ounce bag of baby kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2 large jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced on the mandolin
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup edamame, shelled
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- To make the vinaigrette: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, rice vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until well incorporated and light yellow in color. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the fennel, red onions, kale, jalapeño peppers, bean sprouts, edamame, and cilantro. Toss the dressing into the salad, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
Shop products featured in this recipe:
Chilled soup is perfect for the spring weather! This sweet and spicy chilled carrot soup will make your tastebuds explode with happiness! It’s flavored with tangy ginger, a little spice from red curry paste and red pepper flakes, lemongrass, and the all-important coconut milk for creaminess! Make it vegetarian by substituting the chicken broth for veggie broth. We topped this soup with toasted pumpkin seeds with a hint of sriracha powder and toasted coconut flakes for a nice crunch combo. It’s simple and delicious, but packed with all healthy things!
Sweet and spicy, this chilled carrot soup is flavored with curry, ginger, lemongrass, and creamy coconut milk!
Garnish the soup with toasted raw pumpkin seeds with a sprinkle of sriracha seasoning!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 3 cups low-fat chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 can light coconut milk (or full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 lemongrass stalks, outer layer removed, cut in half, and pounded with a meat mallet
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Juice from 1 lime
- Sriracha toasted pumpkin seeds for topping
- Toasted coconut flakes for topping
- Heat the canola oil over a heavy stock pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the garlic and onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots to the pot and continue to sauté until carrots begin to soften, about 5 more minutes. Add in the ginger, soy sauce, curry paste, chicken broth, and coconut milk. Stir together until well-combined. Toss in the lemongrass, red pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a boil. Add in the lime juice and lower to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and discard lemongrass stalks from the soup using a slotted spoon or kitchen tongs. Use an immersion blender (or blender) to puree the soup until smooth. Let cool completely before placing in the refrigerator or serving room temperature. Top the soup with sriracha toasted pumpkin seeds and toasted coconut flakes.
- To make the toasted sriracha pumpkin seeds:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1 cup of raw pumpkins seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray the pumpkin seeds with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and 1 teaspoon of sriracha seasoning. Toss well to coat. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until browned and toasted. Let cool.
- To make the toasted coconut flakes:
- Dry toast the coconut flakes in a pan on a low heat on the stove until lightly browned.
Shop products featured in this recipe: