These are not your mama’s banana nut muffins! They’re better! These Banana Nut Muffins with Chinese Five Spice are so special. The Chinese Five Spice gives it just a hint of flavor that will make you say, “Hmmm… what is that awesomeness I’m tasting?” Don’t worry, it’s very subtle.
So what is Chinese Five Spice? The common ingredients are star anise, cloves, Chinese cinnamon, Sichuan pepper, and fennel. But don’t let that scare you, it’s really aromatic and delish! Mostly used in cooking recipes, I’ve used it a few times for baking to give it that hint of something special. So, where do you find Chinese Five Spice? Most grocery stores carry it in the spice section, but you can click here to buy. And, most importantly, don’t throw away your overripe bananas because they are great for baking!
Sprinkle the tops of the Banana Nut Muffins with chopped walnuts and cinnamon sugar. So yummy!
Don’t throw away those overripe bananas! They’re the best for making delicious sweets like these super easy Banana Nut Muffins with Chinese Five Spice.
You can freeze any leftovers in an airtight baggie! These Banana Nut Muffins with Chinese Five Spice should last for days, unless you’re like me and then they’ll be gone in a few hours!Print
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line the muffin tins with paper muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, Chinese Five Spice and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, whip together the oil, bananas and sugars together for a good 3 minutes. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract and beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- Mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated and fold in half of the chopped walnuts. Spoon the batter into the muffin liners filling halfway up. Top the muffins with the other half of walnuts and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before removing from muffin tin.
Keywords: Banana Nut Muffins, Banana Nut Muffin Recipe, Chinese Banana Nut Muffins, Chinese Banana Nut Muffin Recipe, Chinese Five Spice Muffin Recipe with Bananas
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #AsianCaucasianBlog. We’d love to see your pics on Instagram and Facebook!
If you liked this recipe, try our Matcha Cheesecake Muffins
Shop products featured in this recipe: