These moist and delicious Banana Nut Muffins with Chinese Five Spice are so special! But, these are not your mama's banana nut muffins! They're better! The hint of Chinese five spice gives these muffins just a hint of magic flavor.
Don't throw away those overripe bananas! They're the best for making delicious sweets like these super easy Banana Nut Muffins with Chinese Five Spice.
What is chinese five spice?
Chinese five-spice powder adds complexity and savoriness to sweet and savory dishes alike. Chinese five spice was originally used for medicinal purposes to balance yin and yang. The number five is associated with healing properties. For cooking, five spice encompasses a balance of the main flavors.
The most common ingredients in chinese five spice are:
Five spice is mostly used in savory recipes, but it's also awesome for baking to give it that hint of something special, like in these Banana Nut Muffins!
Where do you find chinese five spice?
Please, do not throw away your overripe bananas, because they are great for baking! (I often freeze my overripe bananas so I can use them later.)
I sprinkled the tops of the Banana Nut Muffins with chopped walnuts and cinnamon sugar. So yummy!
These Banana Nut Muffins with Chinese Five Spice should last for days, unless you're like me and then they'll be gone in a few hours! You can freeze any leftovers in an airtight baggie for up to three months.Print
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line the muffin tins with paper muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, Chinese Five Spice and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, whip together the oil, bananas and sugars together for a good 3 minutes. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract and beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- Mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated and fold in half of the chopped walnuts. Spoon the batter into the muffin liners filling halfway up. Top the muffins with the other half of walnuts and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before removing from muffin tin.
- You can freeze any leftovers in an airtight baggie for up to three months.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Asian Fusion
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 10.7 g
- Sodium: 138.8 mg
- Fat: 10.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.8 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 18.6 mg
Keywords: Banana Nut Muffins, Banana Nut Muffin Recipe, Chinese Banana Nut Muffins, Chinese Banana Nut Muffin Recipe, Chinese Five Spice Muffin Recipe with Bananas