This delish dish has just the right amount of heat! It’s a great starter salad that will blow you away, not to mention how healthy it is. I’m a tofu freak, so anything tofu has my attention! Make sure you buy extra firm tofu so it doesn’t fall apart. You can always turn up the heat with more Thai chili peppers, but BEWARE: you will want to taste your next course, so take it easy!
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 extra firm blocks tofu
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 seedless peeled cucumbers, chopped
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- 1 Thai chill pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, hot water, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Bake the whole blocks of tofu in the oven or toaster oven until golden brown at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool and cut tofu into cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine cubed tofu with cilantro, cucumber, crushed peanuts, Thai chili pepper, and garlic. Toss with dressing. Top salad with sesame seeds and any remaining cilantro.
When my assistant, Damien, created this salad it made me smile! This yummy citrus salad is a combination of sweet and tart that is so refreshing! It’s also quite healthy for you. Pomelo grapefruit is a large Thai grapefruit that is sometimes hard to find, so substituting with pink or red grapefruit is just as good. The key is to getting all of the skin removed so there are no remnants of white pith or membrane. You really only want the edible flesh of the fruit. It always looks so easy when the chefs section a grapefruit on TV. Here’s a tip to make it easier: (how to section a grapefruit). It’s not as hard as you think!
- ½ head roasted garlic
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ¼ cup coconut water
- 1 Thai chili pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Handful chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 pomelo grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- ½ cup whole roasted peanuts, chopped, to garnish
- Toasted coconut chips or flakes to garnish
- In medium mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients up to honey. Add grapefruit and toss together. Top with chopped peanuts and coconut chips.
I like the coconut chips in a bag from Trader Joe's.