Summer time is here! At least if feels like it! We love making fresh salads this time of year, especially with healthy kale, and licorice-y fennel. This colorful spicy kale and fennel salad will make your tastebuds do a happy dance and the lemon vinaigrette provides the music. We’ve loaded this salad with all kinds of healthy goodies, like edamame, bean sprouts, jalapeños, and fresh cilantro. So fresh tasting, you will definitely want to bring this awesome salad to your next summer picnic!
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or mirin wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large fennel bulbs, halved and sliced thinly on a mandoline
- ½ cup red onion, sliced thinly on a mandoline
- 8 ounce bag of baby kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2 large jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced on the mandolin
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup edamame, shelled
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- To make the vinaigrette: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, rice vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until well incorporated and light yellow in color. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the fennel, red onions, kale, jalapeño peppers, bean sprouts, edamame, and cilantro. Toss the dressing into the salad, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
Shop products featured in this recipe:
Boost your antioxidant levels with these drool-worthy matcha green tea cupcakes! They are as beautiful as they are delicious! You can feel good about eating these yummy sweets because matcha powder is also a natural energy booster, so you’ll be sprinting to the gym after indulging! If you’re not a fan of making desserts from scratch, just cheat (no one will know!) and use boxed white cake mix instead. Your green tea cupcakes will be fluffy and flavorful. Either way, these cupcakes will make your guests green with envy!
Matcha green tea powder is the secret ingredient in these delectable cupcakes!
Fluffy matcha green tea cupcakes can be made from scratch or with boxed cake mix!
- For the cake:
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons (room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- ⅔ cup skim milk
- For the frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners into cupcake pans. In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, and matcha powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and continue to mix until fully incorporated. Slowly add in the dry ingredients in three batches until fully mixed, adding in the milk last.
- Fill the cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
- CHEAT: You can use boxed white cake mix for this recipe as well, adding the matcha powder to the mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl and electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and incorporate well until smooth. Add in 2 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing until well blended. Add in the vanilla, matcha powder, and remaining 2 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Frosting should be thick and smooth.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles if desired.