These quick and easy Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps with a tangy dressing are on the table in just 30 minutes! It's a healthy Thai-inspired meal the whole family will love!
These Thai-inspired lettuce wraps are full of flavor! Also known as "larb" in Thailand, the tangy dressing is key here with the aromatic chopped mint, lemon and lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, and a bit of honey for sweetness.
You can also substitute the turkey for ground pork or beef. I prefer ground turkey or chicken to keep it low-cal. (Forever watching my girlish figure!) These wraps are only 294 calories per serving!
Here's another version of these lettuce wraps. I've used a large savoy cabbage leaf as the vehicle for this wrap, and lightened up the calories even further using 90% fat-free ground turkey. You can have fun assembling these lettuce wraps!
Most Thai restaurants serve this as a starter dish, but I find that it's super healthy as a main dish also. I started making this awesome dish a few years ago. -- think lettuce wraps from Cheesecake Factory, only way better!
This recipe was inspired by Giada De Laurentiis, one of my food heroes on Food Network.Print
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (from about 4 limes)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons honey
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 3 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 4-inch piece lemongrass, minced
- 1 Thai chili pepper or serrano chili, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup fresh basil or Thai basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head butter lettuce or savoy cabbage (light green leaves only), leaves separated
- Chopped peanuts
- Optional: sticky white or brown rice, for serving
- Lime wedges for garnish
Make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, lemon juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, and honey. Set aside.
Make the filling:
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, shallots, lemongrass, chile pepper, and water chestnuts. Cook about 5 minutes until fragrant. Add the ground turkey, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until the meat and vegetables are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the dressing to the pan and cook 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mint and basil. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Forming a cup with the lettuce leaves, place a spoonful of the turkey mixture into a lettuce cup and top with chopped peanuts and extra basil. Squeeze lime juice over lettuce cups.
- Serve with sticky rice, if desired.
Adapted from: Food Network/Giada De Laurentiis
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15min
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Asian Fusion
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 893.3 mg
- Fat: 15.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.9 g
- Protein: 24.6 g
- Cholesterol: 78.2 mg
Keywords: Turkey Wraps, Lettuce Wraps, Asian Wraps