This Asian-Inspired Chicken Tortilla Soup literally takes about 30 minutes from start to table! Hints of ginger, soy and sambal chili paste give this soup that Asia-meets-Mexico flavoring. Loaded with fresh veggies, simple chicken stock, and diced tomatoes, there is nothing in here that is not good for you!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- Juice from ½ fresh lime
- 2 cups cooked chicken pieces (shredded or cubed)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- For garnish:
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or soup pot on medium-high heat. Add in the garlic and onion. Stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add in the bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, carrots, celery, and ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the cumin and white pepper to combine. Add in the chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, tomatoes, sambal oelek, and lime juice. Stir, bring to a boil, lower to simmer and slightly cover for 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Add in the chicken pieces and cilantro. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with sliced avocado, cilantro, and lime wedges.
- It’s so easy to use a store-bought rotisserie chicken for this recipe. However, use up your chicken breasts if you’d rather make it yourself!
- To keep this soup vegan, use vegetable broth, and eliminate the chicken. Still so hearty and delicious!
- You can also garnish this tortilla soup with shredded cheese and sour cream. Yum!
- This soup freezes well for later! You can freeze this for up to 3 months.
Keywords: Mexican chicken tortilla soup recipe, authentic chicken tortilla soup, printable tortilla soup