Vietnamese Pho Ga
Atlanta has some of the best little pho cafes in the Asian quarter. I’m crazy about this simple Vietnamese street food! The soup, pronounced “fuh,” warms my belly and nourishes my body. So I just had to make it myself! Our version is super easy! You can find the basics for the stock at the Asian markets, or online. Just add chicken stock, rice noodles and your choice of protein. The herb garnish toppings give it that nice crunch. You can round it out with as much heat your palate can tolerate! This soup is “pho”nominal!
Use these toppings for an extra crunch and some heat!
You can find these products at your local Asian market.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 pints cold water
- 2 cubes of PHO packet
- 4 small onions quartered, skin on
- 5 whole garlic cloves
- 1 inch fresh ginger root
- Handful fresh cilantro
- ½ lemon w/ rind on
- Chinese Spice Blend packet – 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 star anise, cloves, peppercorns, fennel seeds)
- 3 skinless/boneless chicken breasts sliced very thinly
- 8 oz. rice noodles
- Green onions, chopped
- Torn sweet Thai basil leaves or regular basil leaves
- Mung bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- Chopped peanuts
- Hoisin sauce
- Sriracha hot sauce
- In large heavy pot, add chicken broth, water, PHO cubes, onions, garlic cloves, ginger root, and lemon. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer, partially covered for 2 hours. Meanwhile, put spices in a cheesecloth and tie with string. Add spice packet for last 20 minutes. Discard spices and strain the broth. Return broth to the pot and keep at low simmer.
- During last 30 minutes of cooking, soak the rice noodles in water for 20 minutes and strain. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and add rice noodles. Cook noodles until just done, about 5 minutes (firm but not mushy). Remove soup from stove. Add in sliced chicken just before serving (chicken will cook very quickly in the hot broth).
- To assemble soup: Place some noodles at the bottom of the bowl. Ladle soup over noodles, including sliced chicken. Serve with veggie toppings and sauces.