Vegetarian Steamed Buns
I love it when a recipe is both incredibly easy and delicious! For this popular Chinese dish, we’re going to cheat a little by using Pillsbury Grands, which are available everywhere at your local grocery store. Easier than making it from scratch! Just steam them and stuff them with just about anything! I’ve pocketed these with shiitake mushrooms and other sautéed veggies for this particular recipe, but it can also be stuffed with your favorite protein. Dig in for a quick snack, or a meal!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 leeks (white parts only), sliced
- 8 large shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2½ tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat canola oil on medium high. Add shallots and leeks. Sauté for 7 minutes until caramelized. Add mushrooms and sauté until cooked through. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and ginger. Mix well. Remove from heat and toss in green onions.
- While vegetables are cooking, separate dough into 8 biscuits. With fingers, flatten each into rounds about ½ inch thick. Fold over to form half-moon shape; place in steamer or bamboo steamer lined with parchment paper. Set steamer on top of wok or saucepan with boiling water. Steam 10 minutes; cool completely.
- Cut buns in half, but not completely through, to form a pocket. Stuff buns with vegetable mixture and serve immediately on a platter.