Vegetarian Frittata with Shiitake Mushrooms
Skip breakfast? Never! Wait until you try this simple Asian vegetarian frittata that you can eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner! I love eggs, (probably eat too many of them!) and this dish is loaded with healthy veggies like shiitake mushrooms, bell peppers, and kale. You can throw in whatever veggies are in your fridge, and even some protein. That’s why I love making frittatas. Everything but the kitchen sink – Voilà!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, seeded and small diced
- 2 red Thai chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen chopped kale
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 6 whole eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil (make sure to coat the sides of the pan with the oil). Add the shallots, green onions, ginger, and garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until translucent. Add the red bell pepper, Thai chili pepper, kale, and shiitake mushrooms, and sauté for 3 to 4 more minutes until just done.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and the soy sauce (do not over mix!). Add to the skillet on top of the vegetables. Cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes until the edges start to set around the sides of the skillet, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from stove and place the bean sprouts over the eggs. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Place skillet in the oven and bake just until top is set, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Set oven to broil. Broil the frittata for 30 seconds just to brown the top. Cut into wedges garnished with cilantro when ready to serve.
Shop products featured in this recipe:
Leave a Comment
Search Asian Caucasian Recipes
Asian Caucasian Recipe Categories
Recent Asian Caucasian Posts
- Miso Chicken Noodle Soup December 11, 2017
- Grilled Flank Steak Lettuce Cups with Nuoc Cham December 4, 2017
- Mixed Seafood Poké Bowl November 27, 2017
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry November 20, 2017
- Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce November 19, 2017
- Mala Hot Sauce November 13, 2017
- Asian-Spiced Pork Chili with Butternut Squash November 6, 2017
- Jalapeño Corn Bread November 6, 2017
- Delicata Squash Stuffed with Turkey and Brown Rice October 30, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Tri-Colored Cauliflower October 23, 2017