This is an awesome borrowed recipe from my fellow food blogger and southern chef, Melissa Pelkey-Hass with The Front Porch Gourmet. This recipe is right up my alley! It’s loaded with Asian flavors and a little heat! Coconut soup is so easy to make — just add lots of veggies, some protein (she uses chicken in this one), and fresh herbs. Thanks for sharing, sweet Melissa!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (more if desired)
- 1 large lemongrass stalk, crushed
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- ½ pound thin sliced mushrooms
- 8 oz. bean thread noodles, cooked according to directions
- 3-5 shaved fresh red or green jalapeno peppers
- ¼ cups cilantro, chopped
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, ginger, lemongrass, lime juice, and zest. Place over medium heat and slowly bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, add the coconut milk, stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the Thai chili sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and mushrooms and continue to cook until chicken is completely cooked. Discard the lemongrass.
- To assemble, place bean thread noodles at the bottom of a soup bowl and pour soup over top. Garnish with peppers and cilantro.
Shop products featured in this recipe: