Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes
Boost your antioxidant levels with these drool-worthy matcha green tea cupcakes! They are as beautiful as they are delicious! You can feel good about eating these yummy sweets because matcha powder is also a natural energy booster, so you’ll be sprinting to the gym after indulging! If you’re not a fan of making desserts from scratch, just cheat (no one will know!) and use boxed white cake mix instead. Your green tea cupcakes will be fluffy and flavorful. Either way, these cupcakes will make your guests green with envy!
Matcha green tea powder is the secret ingredient in these delectable cupcakes!
Fluffy matcha green tea cupcakes can be made from scratch or with boxed cake mix!
- For the cake:
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons (room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- ⅔ cup skim milk
- For the frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners into cupcake pans. In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, and matcha powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and continue to mix until fully incorporated. Slowly add in the dry ingredients in three batches until fully mixed, adding in the milk last.
- Fill the cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
- CHEAT: You can use boxed white cake mix for this recipe as well, adding the matcha powder to the mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl and electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and incorporate well until smooth. Add in 2 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing until well blended. Add in the vanilla, matcha powder, and remaining 2 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Frosting should be thick and smooth.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles if desired.
Shop products featured in this recipe:
Leave a Comment
Search Asian Caucasian Recipes
Asian Caucasian Recipe Categories
Recent Asian Caucasian Posts
- Grilled Baby Octopus with Nuoc Cham January 22, 2018
- Easy Thai Clear Soup with Chicken and Tofu January 9, 2018
- 10 Easy and Delicious Healthy Asian Soups January 8, 2018
- California Everything Bagel Sandwich January 1, 2018
- 10 Easy Asian Appetizers for New Year’s December 25, 2017
- Five Spice Pumpkin Bread December 18, 2017
- Miso Chicken Noodle Soup December 11, 2017
- Grilled Flank Steak Lettuce Cups with Nuoc Cham December 4, 2017
- Mixed Seafood Poké Bowl November 27, 2017
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry November 20, 2017