Healthy Shrimp Fried Rice
Whoa! Healthy fried rice, you ask? Yes! This healthier version of fried rice will keep you wondering why you were indulging on the “other” fried rice, which looks healthy but really isn’t! This is a cinch to make and will fill you up, as a side or main dish. You can add whatever protein you have on hand, like chicken or tofu. This version includes shrimp because it cooks so quickly. Prepare it with a variety of veggies from your fridge or freezer. I’ve made this fried rice with edamame, shaved brussels sprouts, whatever! Nothing traditional about this dish!
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 onion, small diced
- ½ head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 16 oz. package frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (preferably one-day old rice)
- 3 green onions (scallions), sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger powder, and red pepper flakes and set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add the egg and stir gently until the egg is just set. Remove to a plate and finely chop. Add shrimp to wok and cook until pink, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Add garlic and onion to the skillet and cook until onions have become translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add broccoli florets and cook until crisp tender. Stir in frozen veggies and half of the green onions and cook until veggies are tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice, green onions and soy sauce mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in egg and shrimp. Toss in the remainder of the green onions and combine thoroughly. Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment
Search Asian Caucasian Recipes
Asian Caucasian Recipe Categories
Recent Asian Caucasian Posts
- Grilled Baby Octopus with Nuoc Cham January 22, 2018
- Easy Thai Clear Soup with Chicken and Tofu January 9, 2018
- 10 Easy and Delicious Healthy Asian Soups January 8, 2018
- California Everything Bagel Sandwich January 1, 2018
- 10 Easy Asian Appetizers for New Year’s December 25, 2017
- Five Spice Pumpkin Bread December 18, 2017
- Miso Chicken Noodle Soup December 11, 2017
- Grilled Flank Steak Lettuce Cups with Nuoc Cham December 4, 2017
- Mixed Seafood Poké Bowl November 27, 2017
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry November 20, 2017