Easy Spiced Pumpkin Coconut Soup
Baby, it’s cold outside! Warm up your tootsies with this super easy Pumpkin Coconut Soup! I literally made this in 30 minutes! Need I say more? There are so many fragrant spices in this recipe, plus the sweetness from the pumpkin purée and a dash of brown sugar combined with the heat from the Thai chili pepper is so incredibly satisfying! It’s seriously healthy too, no fat in this bowl of goodness! Pair it with a nice glass of wine (or whisky) and you’ll be warming up in no time!
Pumpkins really work wonderfully in this comforting bowl of soup!
Toast the raw pumpkin seeds with a sprinkle of salt and sriracha seasoning!
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 red Thai chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 15 oz. cans pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Dollop of low-fat sour cream
- Toasted sriracha pumpkin seeds for garnish (recipe below)
- Melt the coconut oil in a heavy Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and chili pepper. Sauté until fragrant and onions are translucent. Stir in the curry powder, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and salt until well blended with the sautéed vegetables about 2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken stock, coconut milk, pumpkin purée, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, purée the soup until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Add in the pepper and more salt if necessary. Serve the soup with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- To make the toasted sriracha pumpkin seeds:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1 cup of raw pumpkins seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray the pumpkin seeds with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and 1 teaspoon of sriracha seasoning. Toss well to coat. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until browned and toasted. Let cool.
Shop products featured in this recipe:
Leave a Comment
Search Asian Caucasian Recipes
Asian Caucasian Recipe Categories
Recent Asian Caucasian Posts
- Miso Chicken Noodle Soup December 11, 2017
- Grilled Flank Steak Lettuce Cups with Nuoc Cham December 4, 2017
- Mixed Seafood Poké Bowl November 27, 2017
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry November 20, 2017
- Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce November 19, 2017
- Mala Hot Sauce November 13, 2017
- Asian-Spiced Pork Chili with Butternut Squash November 6, 2017
- Jalapeño Corn Bread November 6, 2017
- Delicata Squash Stuffed with Turkey and Brown Rice October 30, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Tri-Colored Cauliflower October 23, 2017