Baby Octopus Salad with Grapefruit & Lychees
OK, I know what you’re thinking… baby octopus salad… gross! NOT GROSS! These little creatures are so delish! This salad is super refreshing and healthy, you’ll wonder why you’ve never nibbled on these babies before. And the grapefruit, mango and lychees are a perfect combination. Baby octopus can be a challenge to find but are in most Asian and Hispanic markets (fresh and frozen). You can always substitute the octopus for squid (calamari) which is more readily available in most grocery stores. Don’t knock it ’til you try it! It’s so YUM!
- 1 pound fresh baby octopus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- ½ lime, juiced
- 4 ounces coconut water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted
- 1 large pink grapefruit, peeled and sectioned (pith off)
- 1 mango, cubed
- 8 lychees, flesh only, cubed or sliced
- 2 Thai red chili peppers, seeded and sliced
- ½ red onion, chopped
- Baby arugula for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add baby octopus. Lower to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes, covered until octopus are very tender. Remove octopus and shock them in a bowl of ice water until cooled. Pat dry and marinate with olive oil, salt and pepper for 10 minutes. Grill octopus on outdoor or stovetop grill until nicely charred for about 3-5 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, coconut water, fish sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar and garlic. Add in the grapefruit, mango, lychees, chili peppers, red onion, and octopus and toss gently until well combined. Top with baby arugula and serve.